Friday, January 25, 2013

Elliott Turned 8!


I know you hear every parent say it, but Elliott turning eight years old was so weird.  I, myself, clearly remember being seven, but I don't have much recollection of my eighth year of life.  I feel like Elliott is entering into a mysterious world in which I have no insights or points of reference.  And he's so big.


For Elliott's eighth birthday he had three celebrations.  First, I brought a "rice-crispy-treats" cake to his classroom on Friday at the end of the day where after singing "Happy Birthday" to him, Elliott's classmates gave him birthday wishes.  It was really cute to hear all of the nice things his friends had to say about him to which he replied, "Thank you for telling me that."  

That night, we went out to Elliott's choice of curry for dinner and then came home and celebrated with another "rice-crispy-treats" cake.

On Saturday afternoon, Elliott had some school and church friends over and they celebrated with games, pizza, a piñata, and cupcakes.  

I don't mind celebrating my little boy so many times.  In fact, I really like it.  We're so blessed to have him in our family.



Looking back on this past year, Elliott is really into reading.  He loves to read "chapter books."  His current favorites are "James and the Giant Peach" by Roald Dahl and Dahl's other works of fiction.  He loves playing Lego video games on Wii, playing with real Legos (particularly Star Wars themed Legos), and making lists.  He is very conscientious and works on his homework as soon as he gets into the car on the way home.  He often ponders the negative actions of kids in his class and tries to figure out how to be nice, but not get taken advantage of.  He is very competitive and spends most of his time on the playground playing soccer, wall ball, or being chased.  When people are kind to him it impacts him greatly and deeply.  That also happens when people are unkind.  He worries about his teacher praising him too much in class and doesn't think it is proper, fair, or kind for the other kids.  A lot of Elliott's time this year has been spent independently.  It has been strange to see him growing up and independent.  Instead of him coming to me, I find myself being intentional in drawing him out.  Once he is quiet and undistracted, he has so much in his heart to pour out and ponder with me.  He reads his Bible by himself now and he chews on the things he has read throughout the day.  The other day he told me about how he "tested God" because he had read about Gideon doing that with his fleece (from Judges chapters 6-8).

Feeling nostalgic?  Look back and see Elliott's 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th birthdays, too!

1 comment:

mof3 said...

Such a sweet boy! I love him so much. Gramma E