Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"That woman could burn WATER!"

This was the "you're an awful cook" label we would always give to my sister as we were growing up.  She literally would forget about water on the stove for so long that it would burn...  I always thought myself above this kind of cooking faux pas.  That was until yesterday, when I finally made the dive...

Burning water is one thing.  Burning NOTHING is quite another!  Last night, as I was cooking dinner for my family, I absentmindedly put my vegetable steamer in the pot, put the vegetables in, put the lid on, and turned the burner on high.  My pot was on the stove for a while and I kept wondering why I wasn't seeing any steam.  So I moved the pot to the hottest burner, because every stove has one, you know.  And then--and I'm not really sure how--it finally occurred to me that I never put water in the bottom of the pot!  

So, dear sister, you are finally vindicated.  I did not do such a silly thing as burn water.  No longer can burning water be held as the ultimate cooking sin.  Oh no, for I have burnt...nothing. Yes, and not only did I burn 'nothing'.  I burnt nothing so bad that the bottom of my pot burnt right off of the rest of the pan.  That's right folks, I heard a pop and that sucker completely detached!

Oh well, there's nothing to do now except buy that new set of cookware that I have been pondering all these months...

2 comments:

wrecklessgirl said...

oh no!!! hahaha, i wasn't aware they could just pop off....that's so crazy!

Brittany Anne said...

Oh Corynne!

I did the same thing when I was in third grade. I was making mac and cheese the old fashioned way and left the pot to boil. I ended up engrossed in a television show and about 45 minutes later it dawned on me! I went in and there was NO more water left and the bottom of the pan had turned to this coppery color. I ran it under cold water and threw in the outside trash can for fear of my mom finding out and saying I couldn't use the stove. Fast forward to just this year when my mom asked why we had an extra lid for a pan we don't have. Yikes. :)