Saturday, April 26, 2008

Obsessed with Ganache


So, as the titled clearly states, I have been obsessed with ganache, lately.  I had never made it until the other evening.  It is so simple and delicious!  Hhmmm... I love life's little discoveries.  Its funny how we put ourselves in these little boxes so often:  you go to the store, you buy the same cheese, the same bread, the same vegetables, the same fruit...but every once in a while, you make a new discovery!  And your new discovery becomes part of your little collection of things you do.  I guess that is just part of growing up.  I guess I have been doing a lot of reflecting on the past, lately.  Its only then that I realize how far I've come...

Anyway, back to ganache.  Glorious.  Okay, so ganache is basically chocolate pieces melted by heated cream.  It can be made for various purposes and with varying measurements.  (more chocolate than cream, equal amounts, more cream than chocolate)  Oh the possiblities!  Tonight we enjoyed this little tart you see in the photos.  It consisted of an espresso crust, coated with a layer of hardened chocolate, filled with chocolaty ganache and topped with caramelized chocolaty sugar.  We also had ganache last night.  A little bit less rich and used for dipping strawberries...  I was inspired and got most of my ideas or recipes for these from Chocolate and Zucchini and La Tartine Gourmande.

Go ahead.  I dare you.  Give ganache a try...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never had ganache before. what does it taste like?