Monday, September 6, 2010

Birthday, Smirthday

Along with the coming of autumn comes many of my family's birthdays: my 3 brothers, a sister, my husband, my daughter, my mother, my father, my mother in law, my sister in law, and a few friends, too. Whew! So, I'm thinking 'birthday' these days.

And if there is a solution for parental gifts, I haven't discovered it, yet. If you have, give me a hoot and a holler. You know the run down: they're old enough to buy whatever they want for themselves and chances are, if they haven't yet purchased it, it is because they cannot afford it and chances are, I cannot either!

My mom's birthday is September 11, poor lady. I'm trying to think ahead here and decided to pull out a trusty standby I discovered quite a few years ago. Its name is this, "Sweet Spiced Pecans." My mom was all about pecans when I was young. I clearly remember her loving pecan "turtles", pecan praline ice cream, caramel corn with candied pecans, etc. So, this is right up her alley. There's only so many photos of yourself and your family you can send as gifts before you start feeling conceited, am I right? So, nuts it is!

Here's the recipe. This makes a nice Christmas gift, but they're also just really delicious and great for get togethers or little snacks.

Now, here's to hoping I actually mail this sucker in time for my mom's birthday...! Love you, Mom! Hap! Ee birthday!

Sweet Spiced Pecans
{Recipe found in a Container Store holiday flyer about 7 or 8 years ago}

Quantity: 2-1/2 cups

Storing: Store in airtight containers in a cool place for up to 1 month.

Ingredients:
1 egg white
2 Tbl water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 salt
2-1/2 cups pecans

Directions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Beat egg white and water until foamy.
Add sugar, spices, and salt. Let stand until sugar dissovles, about 15 minutes.
Stir in nuts and mix well. Spread evenly on large foil-lined
(or parchment paper or silpat sheet works better) baking pan or cookie sheet.
Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Break up when cool and store.






5 comments:

Jess said...

I have some fabric stashed away that i got for free from my mom if you want to raid it and we can sew aprons or other handmade items... I can see what patterns I have already. Yummy post... You always have the best baking!

Nina49a said...

Those look yummy! Elliott is so GQ.

Corynne Escalante said...

awesome! thank you, jess! i just may have to take you up on that offer.

The Montgomerys said...

Hint: my bday is in Nov. I love spiced nuts!

**Elliott has THE coolest hair I've ever seen on a 5 year old. And most older guys too for that matter.
<3

Corynne Escalante said...

monica: i KNEW i was forgetting one! i will keep that birthday request in mind... good to know! <3 lots o love!