Thursday, September 23, 2010

Its the Thought That Counts

I like to make my own greeting cards.  I guess it started out when I was a child.  I would always be making my mother cards or for any of the other members in my 8 person family.  Its all about resources, right?  What 7 year old has money for Hallmark?  Back then, it was markers and glitter.  Now, I'm only slightly more sophisticated, but I just can't bring myself to give a store bought card very often.  It feels... as if I'm not actually putting effort or care into it, because making cards has just become how I do it.  Its ingrained.  Maybe its the over abundance of praise my mother lavished upon my feeble efforts as a child that convinced me that making my own cards somehow meant more. 

But what really re-inspired my card making as an adult was this amazing card my friend made for the birth of my daughter, Caiden. I just loved it! It relighted the fire of inspiration for me and excited me to think that homemade cards can be un-frumpy and actually one of a kind... Dare I say, special?  (Interesting side note: my friend has gone on to create her own invitation company that has been very successful over the last year or so... Check out Typologie & Co. here and leave some love....)


{Inspiration via Amber pre-Typologie & Co.}

Don't get me wrong, I only hold these standards for myself.  I adore all of the carefully bought cards I have received.  My dad is particularly clever at picking out store cards for me.  He always hits the spot.  So don't go getting self conscious about your card giving habits!

I just thought I would share a little of what I've been making in hopes that it gives you craft-ies (I just made up another word! boom!) out there a little inspiration or something.  And also to highlight a few tools that I feel make the process more easier, more pleasant, and/or more awesome.

Here's what I've been making lately:




{simple, vintage, cute, and painless to make when I'm organized}


Tools:

1) Card stock (duh)

2) Patterned papers

3) Old books with cool art you don't mind cutting up

4) Fiskars paper trimmer!!!! (This has been huge for me.  I finally got one. I can't believe I didn't realize the value of this sooner. Every card maker should have one.  Straight lines are awesome and give a more polished look.)

5) Scalloped edge blade for the paper trimmer (adds variety, visual interest, and cuteness)

6) Elmer's spray glue (This will make your life a million times easier. Virtually no drying time.)

7) Metallic jelly pens

Have any must-have items to share with me?  Let me know in the comments.

Lots 'o love!

P.S. Speaking of making vs. buying cards: if you're looking for original and awesome, but don't have time to make your own, you must check out KiddinsDesigns.  Jessica from Kiddins is a super talented artist/illustrator friend of mine who, along with designing fabrics, recently launched some greeting cards over on etsy.  Head on over and check it out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved Joe's bday card. We put it up on our cork board....so very cute! Awesome job.
Mon