Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Cryn-spiration: The Time I Made a Panda Mug

My friend, Tiffany, was turning 29 and I thought it was the perfect opportunity to make her something that combined a few things she likes: coffee and pandas.  I'm always excited to be able to give a handmade gift, so the kids and I set out to collect our supplies...

Our first stop was at the Crate and Barrel Outlet where the kids forced me to buy them fabric scraps for 50 cents.  Next, we visited CB2 where everything was going fine until Caiden opened the emergency fire door and turned the alarm on.  We paid for our mug and left!

Our final stop was Blick for the porcelain paint pen.  I avoided being forced into any more purchases for the kids (they LOVE art stores!), but conceded to taking weird pictures with the white blob guy.


Most importantly, we went home and had cookies--itsy bitsy cookies that I had painstakingly formed (100 of them) the day before. Maybe I should have given her some of those for her birthday, too.  Oh, well.



In the evening when all was quiet in the house, I pulled up panda images I had saved as inspiration and set to work doodling and testing out my skill, which is not very great but can be passable at times.  The first sketch (upper left hand corner) was a disaster so I moved on to inspiration number two, tweaked it a bit, liked it, and set to work on the real deal.

I drew the outline on the mug in pencil to allow for error.  Tools I used for this project were:

partially unglazed porcelain mug (CB2 Tactile Mug 12 oz.)
Pebeo Porcelaine 150 paint pen 1.2 mm
toothpick
Q-tip
Blackwing 602 (not original) drafting pencil

No comments: