Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Quick Carrot Nut Bread


Hey everyone, I thought I would leave you with this awesome recipe I adapted from the 1975 version of The Joy of Cooking.   I love making this bread for Elliott and me to snack on throughout the week or to have for dessert after dinner with coffee.  Yummy, a bit sweet, and still pretty darn healthy...  Oh, and I love the texture you get from the shredded carrots and ground nuts.  And the applesauce makes it kind of springy and moist.

********
Preheat oven to 350.

Sift together: (dump in bowl and wisk)
1 cup white whole wheat flour*
1/2 cup white flour (could probably just use whole wheat here, too)
1  1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon 

Add:
3/4 cup sugar
2 beaten eggs
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Blend in with a few swift strokes:
1  1/2 cups grated carrots** (about 2 or 3 carrots)
1 1/2 cups ground pecans**  (not chopped, you want them pretty small)

Bake in a greased pan about 1 hr. (I think this is for a bread pan)  I use a smaller baking dish type thing (8 by 9 maybe) and it takes about 20-40 min. I think.  Just keep your eye on it.  Cool in the pan 10 min., then turn out onto a rack for further cooling.

*I love King Arthur's white whole wheat flour, its not too "wheat texture-y."
**The shredder attachment for the kitchenaid mixer is excellent for this.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the cook book has 1/2 cup oil and not the applesauce - will try applesauce next time instead of oil - it is very good but a little dry !